[plug] Why pump ?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jun 20 00:15:03 WST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:18:13PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> > > When I wander into UCC and connect the standard response is "pump is your
> > > friend".
> > >
> > > What advantage does it have over dhcp-client ?
>
> Hmmmm. No-ones told me if it ignores /etc/network/interfaces yet. No clues,
> hints ?

From my various tinkerings, I was led into the impression that
debian's network scripts and/or ifup called pump, under the
direction of /etc/network/interfaces. pump itself doesn't touch
/etc/network/interfaces.

> I know, I know. Google is my friend too :-) It just didn't jump out on google.

man pump is your friend too :)
Doesn't outline anything about /etc/network/interfaces, rather
/etc/pump.conf. Also:

QUIBBLE
       A pump, like a boot[p], is  something  you  wear  on  your
       foot.  Some of us like the name (I know, hard to believe)!

:)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham