[plug] Trying to watch a dvd under linux

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Fri Jun 21 18:32:27 WST 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 08:21:36PM +1000, Buddrige, David wrote:
> I do an ls on /dev/dvd and sure enough, there is no device file in
> there.  However I have never created one of these before and am not
> sure how it is done.  I am using Redhat 7.2.

If the device you have put your DVD disc into is /dev/cdrom, try
creating a symlink from /dev/dvd to it:

ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

If /dev/cdrom is already a symlink to something else, replace
/dev/cdrom above with that something else. And if it's not /dev/cdrom
you've put the disc into, change the above accordingly.

Colin