[plug] [OT] New iiNet ADSL Schemes

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Mon Jun 24 10:41:34 WST 2002

Bret Busby wrote:

>Could someone please clarify something for me?
>
>My understanding is that having a static IP address, rather than a dynamic
>IP address (allocated newly each new login), makes a user more vulnerable
>to security breach attempts (it is easier to hit a still target, than a
>moving target).
>
>Is that correct?

If you have something that will attract someone to have a go at you on
your static IP.

When I was on dynamic with dial-up, when I first dialled up I frequently
used to get probes on various file-sharing ports, e.g. Kazaa.  So
obviously someone that had been on that IP before was using Kazaa (and
I've never had it or used it).

But if you annoy someone or have something that someone wants to have a
go at on your box, then its easier for them to find you again for sure.

/ Ben