[plug] [OT] New iiNet ADSL Schemes

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Jun 24 10:24:53 WST 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Ben Jensz wrote:

> One thing to be aware of is that both peak and off peak get shaped if
> you go over the peak limit on iiNet, but WAIX doesn't get shaped whether
> you're over the peak limit or not.  The only real differences between
> WestNet's and iiNet's plans in terms of what you get, are that iiNet has
> dynamic IP vs WestNet static, iiNet block some ports vs WestNet not
> blocking any ports, go over the peak limit with iiNet all external
> traffic all the time is shaped vs pay 6cents/Mb over your peak limit on
> WestNet, and WestNet's plans are slightly more expensive.  Both have
> free WAIX of course :).
>
> If you look at iiNet's business ADSL plans, which have static IPs and
> the option of paying an excess rather than being shaped, they end up
> being less desirable than WestNet's plans.  So if you can live with
> being on a dynamic IP and being shaped to dial-up speeds if you go over
> your peak limit go for iiNet, if you can't then go for WestNet.
>
> At the moment I'm with WestNet for ADSL and not planning on changing,
> personally I'd rather pay a little bit more and get a static, no blocked
> ports and have full speed broadband access all of the time.  If I go
> over my peak download limit, I still want to get broadband type access
> speeds, even if I am paying excess.  The download limits are pretty
> generous anyway.
>
> Personal preference really.  Depends what sort of broadband "experience"
> you want to get :).

Could someone please clarify something for me?

My understanding is that having a static IP address, rather than a dynamic
IP address (allocated newly each new login), makes a user more vulnerable
to security breach attempts (it is easier to hit a still target, than a
moving target).

Is that correct?

Not that we are likely to ever get ADSL here - I still remember telecom
classifying Armnadale as a remote community, about a year or so ago, in
its ADSL access website, which stated that Armadale was unlikely to ever
get ADSL, and that satellite dishes should be used for high speed Internet
access, due to the remoteness of the location.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988