[plug] Tonights meeting

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Jun 24 11:51:03 WST 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:27:42AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:50, Peter Wright wrote:
[ snip ]
> > I managed to grab a couple of IP addresses he was connecting from,
> > as well - though odds are they're just other cracked machines in his
> > stable. I suspect he was either (a) stupid, (b) lazy, (c) didn't
> > really care if he was spotted, or (d) all of the above.
>
> (e) automated

Yes, I also considered that possibility, though I wasn't sure to what
degree something like this could be automated.

Admittedly, I haven't really had a chance to do a really detailed
analysis - and I was offline while I was performing my hasty
look-around-and-log-all-netstat-ps-ifconfig-psof-info[0]-I-can-think-
of-logging, so I haven't really established anything much (other than
that I _was_ cracked).

In retrospect, it's probably quite possible that it was entirely
automated. Which is even more embarrassing for me, of course, but
what the hell. :)

<assumes solemn lecturing pose> See kiddies, this is what can happen to
you if you don't pay enough attention to securing your machine... you
could end up like this idiot <gestures at self>.

> Cheers; Leon

Pete.

[0] using (what I'm reasonably sure are) untainted executables, of course.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
THEOREM: VI is perfect.