[plug] Here's a weird one - not linux but is stopping me cold!

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 25 11:22:07 WST 2002

Hello, Bill!

For what it's worth....

I purchased an nVidia TNT2 and had heaps of trouble.  I was able to use it
only in low res/low colour and only after a re-boot (it always needed
warming up!).  Occasionally it did not boot at all.  I lived with it like
that for some time before an RTB (return to base).

The replacement was ditto.  Domain Tech (owner former Dan Tech) assured me
that card and driver were perfect.  I thought not; I always suspected the
driver.  Sure enough the driver on both supplied disks was incorrect - and I
eventually used a driver from another supplier.  Works fine now!

Bill, my point:

1.
It COULD be your card (despite being brand new).  If it's chong and cheap
it's potentially sus as far as I am concerned.  [ I recall the time when I
heard a major chong supplier in Perth advise - with a laugh - another major
PC chong dealer that he had supplied fake Pentiums wayback.]
.......absolutely no disrespect to any Asians among us (wherever "Asia" is.
Where is that country exactly???).

2.
I did a BIOS upgrade (despite being a new m/board).  I do not use "find AGP
first" in BIOS.

3.
I definitely needed a correct driver thereafter.

Regards,
wayne.