[plug] Here's a weird one - not linux but is stopping me cold!

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 24 11:23:02 WST 2002

Here's a weird one - not linux but is stopping me cold!

In order to swap some video cards around and speed up an old machine, I
purchased a cheap AGP MSI nvidia G4 card.  3 times as fast as my old PCI
tnt2 32Mb by the way:)

However, it will not boot when on its own!  The bios has been set to
initialise AGP first, cleared etc, but from the "beeps" when trying to
boot, it is not recognised.  However, if I plug the old PCI tnt card in,
it boots fine, and uses the G4 - which works brilliantly!!!  Of course,
not any card will do (also tried an old trio S3 - gets video, but locks
up when in the system with the G4), it has to be the tnt which I want to
move to another machine.

So, other than being lonely when on its own, can anyone shed some light
on what I must do to get this thing to boot on AGP only?

The motherboard is a ABIT kt7a-raid, and I will install the latest bios
update tonight, but in the meantime, I wuld be interested if anyone has
seen this before.

BillK

--
Bill Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>