[plug] P75 & Linux

Sacha Schlegel schlegel at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jun 27 06:48:00 WST 2002

Hi James

> I have a Digital Pentium 75 computer as a second computer.
> Both computers have network cards and are connected with a crossover
cable.
>=20
> I would like to put Debian Linux on the P75.  The P75 only has a 1 Gb
hard
> disk and I have found from experience that this is not enough to load
Red
> Hat, although I suppose you could possible fit a bare bones version on
it.
> Anyway, I want Debian so that I can get used to it and hopefully be in
> position to choose between RH and Debian down the track.
> Is this feasible or is the P75 too old, too small, too slow?

If you install debian you can select to "just" install the basic system
(e.g no compiler, no Xserver, no games, no gnome, no kde) and then
"just" install the packages you need (e.g. your editor, firewall
software, printserver software, etc). In this case you should get a
"small" system.

Give it a try, learning by doing.

Sacha