[plug] P75 & Linux

proXy davyd at iprimus.com.au
Thu Jun 27 16:35:10 WST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 16:20, James Elliott wrote:

> I forgot to mention that the P75 computer has 24 Mb RAM which is an
> important consideration, and limitation.  Being the old EDO style of RAM it
> is hard to come by or to increase the amount.

All computers have a limitation on how much RAM they can take. Alot of
older pentiums couldn't take too much more then 24megs.

> I take the point that I could dual boot my main computer with Red Had and
> Debian, but one of the reasons I would like to use the old P75 is to get
> experience in networking Linux, and since it seems that I can't fit Xwindows
> on the P75's 1 Gb HDD it will be fun to try and run the xserver on my main
> machine (Red Hat 7.3) from the console on the P75 (Debian).  As Sacha said:
> "learning by doing".

You will find networking linux is not that hard. It will probably sort
most of it out for itself. The hard part is learning to use network
programs over linux. Also setting up protocols such as SAMBA which is
much, much easier nowadays.

You should be able to fit X onto a 1 gig disk. After all I used to run
my entire desktop on 1.2 gigs, with Gnome 1.4.
However I do not recommend running X on a P75, not unless your
completely sadistic. A P200 with MMX is the lowest I would ever run X
on.

Another point which I make occasionally. Don't run linux for the sake of
running linux. Make sure you have some sort of goal in mind and some use
for the machine at a later date. Too many people do something simply
because it is cool, but have no real use for the hardware once that
coolness has worn off.
Good luck with your install.

--proXy

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/
linux.conf.au Perth 2003 <http://www.linux.conf.au>

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA