[plug] P75 & Linux

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Jun 27 16:49:35 WST 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:20:34PM +0800, James Elliott wrote:
> and since it seems that I can't fit Xwindows on the P75's 1 Gb HDD it
> will be fun to try and run the xserver on my main machine (Red Hat
> 7.3) from the console on the P75 (Debian).

Actually, where X is concerned, the client is the where the program
runs, and the server is where it displays itself.  In other words, if
you wanted to run a program on your main machine and see it on your P75,
the server would be the P75.

While this might seem backwards, it does make sense if you think about
it.

There are a couple of ways of doing this, of course.  The more common
solution is to install an X server and window manager, etc on the lesser
box, remote login to the grunty box and export the display for all the X
applications.

The alternative solution is even more light-weight.  You can install a
basic X server on your P75 and then setup your grunty box to host the X
session using XDCMP (just like an xterm in the old days).  It's a bit
messier, and you probably won't be able to get Red Hat's GUI installer
to set it up for you, but it will mean that your P75 is using much less
space and resources.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Never be afraid to try something new.
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | Remember, amateurs built the ark.