[plug] Society of Linux Professionals (WA) Inaugural Meeting

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jun 28 13:11:00 WST 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Colin Muller wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:48:56 +0800
> From: Colin Muller <colin at twobluedots.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Society of Linux Professionals (WA) Inaugural Meeting
>
> For anyone who's wondering what happened to the moves to form a
> society of Linux Professionals, here's the gist:
>
> The society is about to be formed. Its official name will be The
> Society of Linux Professionals (Western Australia) Incorporated.
>
> We have a draft set of rules:
> http://slpwa.linux.org.au/slpwarules.html
>
> ... and a temporary home page, which lists the proposed Society's
> aims and has details of its current mailing list:
> http://slpwa.linux.org.au/
>
> ... and will be holding our inaugural meeting at 1pm on Sunday 30
> June, at the Plaka, James Street, Northbridge, (AGM) to elect the
> committee from the nominees listed at:
> http://slpwa.linux.org.au/nominations.html
>
> If you would like to be part of this organisation, please come along
> to the meeting on Sunday. We will be establishing the list of founder
> members then as well.
>
> Colin

That draft set of rules appears to make membership hellishly exclusive - a
group of people in a dark smoke filled room, sitting around a table with
the only light above the middle of the table - "And, who shall we admit,
and, who shall we exclude...who do we like and who do we dislike". It
appears to exclude new members who are not known to existing members. And,
given the requirement for new members to be nominated by two existing
members, and thence for new membership nominations to be vetted and
determined by only the committee members, it appears to me that the
organisation can never get off the gropund, as no committee members will
exist, to determine any applications for new members, from which the
committee can be selected, unless it has already been secretly done...

I also note that the organisation appears to exclude interested people who
are not currently working as Linux professionals, and thus appears to
exclude new blood, and to not encourage interested people (students, etc),
for either membership, or, working as Linux professionals.