[plug] usb mouse, help needed!

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sun Jun 30 08:11:23 WST 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, John Knight wrote:

> hey fellers!
>
> i had a nifty mouse, but it's left button decided to give up the ghost, so i
> had to get a quick replacement, a shinola microsoft usb mouse wiht 2 buttons
> and a trackball. i had a ps2 mouse before, can anyone who has a similar
> mouse please email me their XF86Config-4 file?

Build kernel with support for the following modules and load them.
# All 3 for a silly mouse :)
usb-uhci
usbmouse
mousedev

(Any current distro witha 2.4 kernel should already have them).

Then add :
none  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0
to /etc/fstab and "mount /proc/bus/usb", This is optional BUT nice.

Tnen make sure /de/input/mice existsa and is coreect (again a current distro
should have done this).

Than add:
Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "5 Button MS Trackball"
  Driver    "mouse"
  Option    "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
  Option    "Device"    "/dev/input/mice"
  Option    "Protocol"    "ImPS/2"
  Option    "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
EndSection

To /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Obviously this is for a dirreect mouse to you BUT
it should give you enought to work with.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!