[plug] Society of Linux Professionals (WA) Inaugural Meeting

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 30 12:12:41 WST 2002

On Saturday 29 June 2002 11:59 pm, Leon Brooks wrote:

> > I also note that the organisation appears to exclude interested people
> > who are not currently working as Linux professionals, and thus appears to
> > exclude new blood, and to not encourage interested people (students,
> > etc), for either membership,
>
> Well... yes, I would hope that was the case.

What I want to know is, what is the definition of a 'linux professional'???

Do you have to be making money from it?

Have your own registered business name?

Have a yearly turnover more than X attributable to Linux work?

My main line of work is as an AP, but I dabble in Linux servers etc on the
side for customers.... mail servers, squid proxies, etc. Do I count?

Most of these clandestine groups usually degenerate into weekly (or monthly)
mutual masturbation or long arguments about irrelevant minute detail about
the implementation of something. The beauty of linux (or, more to the point,
*GPL software) is the direct availability of it all. If you want a mail
server, theres a mail server. Windows shared drives? Install SAMBA.

Im failing to see what possible value this group could add, above and beyond
what the excellent PLUG already does.