[plug] SLPWA and automatic PLUG membership

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Jun 30 20:03:08 WST 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, skribe wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:10, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > One of the items discussed at the newly formed SLPWA Committee meeting was
> > the inclusion of PLUG membership in SLPWA membership. The point was made by
> > several people that this will entail PLUG first agreeing to this and second
> > being organised for this.
>
> I'm not concerned one way or the other regarding this, but I do see a
> potential medium-to-long term problem that I believe should be discussed.
> Currently, the 'key' people in PLUG are the 'key' people in SLPWA and the
> ultimate aims seem to be pretty similar: world domination of linux and the
> deitification of Linus =).  The potential problem lies in when those aims
> diverge, or when PLUG and SLPWA come into conflict over an issue.  It is
> entirely possible that SLPWA could vote as a block if every SLPWA member is
> also a PLUG member.  This would essentially make PLUG a subsiduary of SLPWA.
> Do others see this as an acceptable risk?
>
> skribe

I personally think that the key people of PLUG, were conspicuous by their
absence from the meeting of SLPWA, today, for whatever reason.

If by "key people", you mean office bearers, they appear to be completely
different.

If you mean "prominent people", then, okay, maybe there is some overlap.

However, I believe that, if SLPWA did anything that interfered with the
operations of PLUG, such as voting as a block, to influence PLUG, then
SLPWA would suffer significantly, as it would impinge on the credibility
of SLPWA, as it would go to the ethics and professionalism of SLPWA and
its members.

And, I believe that PLUG will have a greater membership, or, at least,
participation, and, as participants are involved in the linux community,
that could impact on any attempts by SLPWA to dominate PLUG.

The two organisations are separate and different in their objectives, from
what I understand, so I do not foresee a problem.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988