[plug] MS losing the plot...

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Fri Mar 1 10:41:50 WST 2002

Craig Foster [mailto:fostware at iinet.net.au] wrote:

> Microsoft OEM people are being pushed into selling Windows only now.
>
> from the OEM System Builder License:-
> "16. MISCELLANEOUS
> 16.1. You may not advertise or price any Software Unit separately from its
> accompanying fully assembled computer system or computer hardware. Except
> as granted in this agreement, you may not use, run, distribute, copy,
> modify, display, repackage or reassemble any Software Units or Microsoft
> hardware or any part of them.
> "
>
> Which, in effect, means "Windows is part of the system - it is not an
> option". I believe this will push alternative operating systems out of
> consumers minds - if you don't see the option, is it still optional?

It is interesting that this article on ZDNet came out yesterday. (Headlines
quoted below)

Eric Raymond predicts upcoming troubles for Microsoft. "'When the price of a
PC falls below $350, Microsoft will no longer be viable,' Raymond said in an
interview with ZDNet UK. 'The reason is that if you sell something below
that price, you can't afford to pay the Microsoft tax and still make money.'
He said the best illustration of this is the handheld PC market, where
Microsoft software powers relatively expensive devices, but has no presence
in the lower-end market."

Check out the full article at: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-847416.html