[plug] MS losing the plot...

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 1 11:26:05 WST 2002

The MS definition of "Software Unit" is a whole product eg. Windows 2000,
Office XP, etc.

It's a direct attack not only on Walmart's Naked PC , but on the general
"item list" sales technique of stores like Austin (picking a name), etc.
"Here's a retail price list of our gear, once you've chosen, we'll do the
sums..."
Take the Walmart $399US base system. Add the MS Tax on top, and it comes
out to $498US or .... drum roll please .... 24% of the purchase price!
By scaring people into holding two price lists (like Walmart has ended up
doing), most dealers will just end up including Windows, whether the
customer asks for it or not, thereby showing that MS is helping the
Computer Industry by keeping retail computer prices higher.
(I know it doesn't work that way though)

MS has separate paragraphs is different OEM System Builder Agreements and
Licenses (sooo many licenses, so little time), stating what can and can't
be removed not only from an install, but also from the desktop. A classic
example is that the MSN Setup icon CANNOT be removed from the desktop by
an OEM. Well that sure should be investigated as it's leveraging it's OS
to encroach on ISPs.

Craig Foster