[plug] Connection sharing through windoze

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Mar 5 12:56:44 WST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Clint Carlson wrote:

> Hi all ...
>
> My wife has a windoze XP machine connected to the net via dialup, and I
> was wondering if there was any way for me to share the connection with
> my mandrake 8.0 box ... and pointers or links to how to's would be
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Clint Carlson

It is probably not the answer that you want, but...

Why not use your Mandrake box, as the gateway? That way, the problems
should disappear.

We use a dedicated server, that includes in its roles, being our gateway
to the 'net; it creates and maintains the connection, and, incorporates
the firewall/mail server.

If your boss wants to connect to the 'net, using your system as the
gateway, she would just need to telnet to your box, and, run an
appropriate dialup script, and, away she goes.

This would probably be alot safer, and, reliable, as well, using a Linux
gateway, would it not?

--
Bret Busby