[plug] Connection sharing through windoze

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Mar 5 10:09:20 WST 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 09:56, Ben Jensz wrote:
> From: "Clint Carlson" <clintcar at dingoblue.net.au>
>> My wife has a windoze XP machine connected to the net via dialup, and I
>> was wondering if there was any way for me to share the connection with
>> my mandrake 8.0 box ... and pointers or links to how to's would be
>> appreciated.

> From my experience with using Internet Connection Sharing with Win98SE, if
> you set it up on a Win98SE box connected to the internet, it shared the
> internet connection with any machine that set it as the default gateway.  I
> had a couple of times over a friend's place when I was using a Linux box
> and it was accessing the internet perfectly through his Win98SE box.

Well, perfectly as long as the service you wanted to use was happy with
simple NAT or was one of a short list of specials that 98 knew about.

> So it wasn't just restricted to sharing the internet connection with
> another windows machine.  I would assume that it would work the same with
> ICS on Win XP as well.

Yes.

However, you'd generally achieve better results by making the lInux box the
one that connects. Among other things, such as being able to work NAT for
more services, it makes the XP box a little less thoroughly rapable by
crackers.

Cheers; Leon