[plug] Delay in sending mail

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Mar 5 16:15:19 WST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 03:38:04PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Recently (in the last few seeks or so), sending email messages is delayed,
> so that sending an email messages, incurs a 75 second delay.

By delayed, I assume you mean that it took 75 seconds before pine
finished sending the mail?  If it was simply taking 75 seconds to
tranfer the mail to its destination, this is perfectly acceptable.

> Yesterday, when I had Opera (v5.0) running, with multiple browser windows
> open, the delay was evident, and, when I closed Opera, the delay
> disappeared.

Quite probably, Opera was using a lot of your CPU time and therefore
pine was running slowly.  Did you check your CPU and memory usage before
closing Opera?  Was Opera accessing content (particularly through a
proxy on your gateway)?

> I have just tried again, and, closing Opera made no difference to the
> delay time, and, neither did closing X-Windows.

One-off problems happen -- gremlins are funny little creatures.  I
wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes an actual problem.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Never be afraid to try something new.
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | Remember, amateurs built the ark.