[plug] Delay in sending mail

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Mar 5 15:38:04 WST 2002

Recently (in the last few seeks or so), sending email messages is delayed,
so that sending an email messages, incurs a 75 second delay.

Does anyone have any idea, as to what is causing this?

I am using pine 4.21 for Linux, suing our email/gateway server as the smtp
server, and we have a firewall on the server, written in ipchains, which
should not affect this (from memory, the firewall does not interfere with
internal traffic).

Yesterday, when I had Opera (v5.0) running, with multiple browser windows
open, the delay was evident, and, when I closed Opera, the delay
disappeared. That involved sending brief test messages across the LAN,
giving the same results as emails going out to the Internet. After
closing Opera yesterday, test messages were sent within 5 seconds.

I have just tried again, and, closing Opera made no difference to the
delay time, and, neither did closing X-Windows.

We are using Postfix as the MTA.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby