[plug] Delay in sending mail

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 6 20:45:08 WST 2002

brett, from previous posts I think you are using what is now a very out
of date Linux, so I have no idea what your syslog is called, possibly
/var/log/message?  To test dns, use "nslookup" which is deprecated these
days but should be part of the standard install:

"nslookup - dns_server_ip"

and give it some addresses (and local and remote servers to use) at the
prompt to lookup and time it.  Are you running a local dns, cacheing or
sending all direct to queries to iinet?

Many programs (even some kde stuff, and I believe sendmail) do a dns
lookup on startup and hang until timeout occurs - often without an error
message.  All sorts of things can cause this from a change in firewall
config blocking lookups to bind dropping dead.  Often the symptoms can
be very deceptive if lookups are cached anywhere which many programs do
(browsers for one!)

BillK