[plug] Delay in sending mail

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Mar 6 08:46:22 WST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Peter Wright wrote:

> Bret,
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:50:02PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > >
> > > By delayed, I assume you mean that it took 75 seconds before pine
> > > finished sending the mail?
> >
> > No - the system just sits there and looks at me, for 75 seconds,
> > displaying "Sending mail 0%". The sending of the mail itself, takes
> > little time, way less than the wait for it to commence the sending.
>
> Hang on - is it _pine_ that is displaying this "Sending mail 0%" message?
> If so, is this after you've just composed a message and hit the "send"
> key?

After I hit the send command ( <CTRL-x>), and then, the confirmation (
<y> ), then, the 75 second wait occurs.

> You mentioned earlier that you were using a postfix mailserver - is this on
> the same machine? (ie. the machine you're using pine on)

No. From memory, in the original query, I stated that we use postfix on
the mail server/gateway for the LAN, and that I use that server as the
smtp server.

> > If the sending takes more than a couple of seconds, then a numerical
> > percentage of the amount sent, is displayed.
>
> Okay.
>
> > The test messages had a fixed size of 535 bytes. Even if it was sending
> > the messages, for the 75 seconds (which it was not),
> [ ... ]
>
> Okay, don't get carried away here. :)
>
> Have you tried using just /bin/mail to see if the problem is just with pine
> or is a general mail problem? For example:
>
> $ echo "Hello there" | mail -s "testing" bret at busby.net
>
> (the '$' is meant to indicate a prompt)
>
> Does that pause for a significant time too, or does that send and put you
> straight back at the prompt? If the latter, that would suggest that the
> problem is with pine. I'd suggest a misconfiguration were it not for the
> fact that is worked fine "before"...

The message that you suggested, went straight away.

> I'd suggest you check that pine's configured to send mail via your local
> mailserver first. If it's trying to connect to a remote mailserver over a
> busy dialup link, that could explain the difficulties. I don't use pine
> myself, so I can't offer any more specific suggestions.

I believe that I had previously stated that I use the server here, as the
smtp server. That is so configured in PINE.

> > The 75 second delay, before sending, is consistent at that period of
> > time.
>
> Commas. Too many. Make brain hurt. Please stop. :)

Correct punctuation was used, to ensure correct and concise and unambigous
conveyance of information. Without both of the commas, the sentence would
have read  "The 75 second delay that occurred before sending, occurs each
time before sending and is consistent at that period of time." Extra six
words in sentence originally 13 words long. Sentence length increased by
50%. Is that better?

--
Bret Busby