[plug] Linux Reference

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Mar 6 21:41:42 WST 2002

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:53:05PM +0800, David White wrote:
> > Can anybody send me a list of linux command references?
>
> Erm... to be pedantic (which is one thing I'm good at), "linux" doesn't
> have any commands as it's an operating system.  If you mean the commands
> you type in a shell, they're mostly programs.  This means you've a
> potentially infinite command set.
>
> For help on a particular command, try typing:
>
> man blerg
> (where "blerg" is the command you want help on)
>
> If you're really stuck, perhaps someone can suggest an introductory
> tutorial to the unix shell?

A google search (URL at bottom of post) turned up some good info including
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/ which could be a great place for you to learn
more about Linux

A good point to remember before posting to a mailing list is to ask yourself
the question, 'Have I done a search on what I am after' and 'Has it turned
up anything useful'. When you can answer Yes to the first and No to the
second then you can say 'Now I can post with a clear conscience'

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=Linux+Command+Reference

Try picking up a Unix reference book from your local library, or better
still come to the PLUG meet on Tuesday at Central TAFE (details on the web
page) and we will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Michael Hunt