[plug] Dual Boot Linux with XP (NTFS)

Peter J. Nicol peternicol at vrl.com.au
Sat Mar 9 11:39:35 WST 2002

> Used Grub, and on the first reboot XP was not available, but during the
> install it had XP as an option but Linux set as default.

I recently got w2k and linux to work, but it was fun.

I had w2k on the primary partition, and I installed redhat to the
second.

For a while, it was booting into a cryptic grub prompt, so I ended up
ditching grub, and going back to lilo.  I had to boot from a linux
floppy and run lilo, to overwrite the mbr.

At the end of it, when I had lilo booting linux, I had to 'rescue' w2k
to get it to boot (ie, run the rescue process from cdrom, which
basically amounted to a re-install).

Lilo now happily boots both redhat and w2k.

Do you have a XP cd?

> Also it seems quite a few people revert to fat32 out of frustration when
> trying to get ntfs support in RH7.1 & 7.2.

Redhat kernels do not have ntfs support compiled in, you have to compile
a new kernel.