[plug] Dual Boot Linux with XP (NTFS)

Jeff blazer666 at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Mar 8 09:20:40 WST 2002

Sounds complicated
I cfdisked using a linux boot cd, installed XP then i installed linux
letting it control the mbr.
then i edited lilo.conf
other = /dev/hda?
    label=xp
    alias=3
run lilo and thats it

if i want to blow away linux its easy. use a win98 boot disk type fdisk
/mbr
reboot and use disk manager in Xp to repartition the ext2 dir.
or blow away windows by using cfdisk in linux.

My test machine is Win98, linux and XP. I used cfdisk to make 4
partitions. Installed win98 first then  XP so i had dual boot XP and
Win98.  I installed linux last because Linux isn't the jealous type and
lets other OS's co-exist.  Then i used the above lilo.conf.

Now when i boot i get a menu of 1 for linux, 3 for windows. When i
choose windows i get a choice of xp and win98.