[plug] Comments on Turbolinux 6.0 requested

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Mar 8 19:49:35 WST 2002

Flipper wrote:

>G'day all
>
>I picked up a copy (or rather 1 CD) of Turbolinux 6.0 and I was wondering how popular it is.  I haven't had the time or the space to explore it or install it but I believe there are 3 or 4, maybe even 6 CD's in the full distro set.
>
>Have/Do many PLUG members use Turbolinux or more specifically Turbolinux 6.0?

Better late than never: - I installed Turbolinux 6.0 late last year when
I was messing around looking at a few distros, etc. I'm not really the
best person to comment on it because; a) I'm a newbie and b) I only had
it on my machine a couple of days for experimental purposes. Having said
that, now let me say this:

The installation was a breeze, although it was ncurses based (not a bad
thing in my opinion). One thing that I really liked was the third choice
of desktop GUI: KDE, GNOME and Enlightenment, which I chose just to be
different. I liked Turbolinux FWIW, it was well integrated and slick.
However, there could well be some standout niggling issues that only
become apparant after using it for a while. It has excellent Asian
language support, which makes sense given that it is reputed to be the
most popular distro in Asia - but I don't suppose that helps you much. I
suppose the big downfall is just a general lack of support and
documentation in english.

But if in doubt, install it anyway. It's all part of the learning process.

sol