[plug] Passwords

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Sat Mar 9 21:59:27 WST 2002

G'Day,
	(/me fits flame resistant suit) How do I set a null password, specifically
in debian. I'm setting up a web kiosk for a real estate agent and it needs
to be as easy to use and a locked down as possible. To this end, I want gdm
to log the guest user in automatically, which it does. Howevr, it asks for
a password and I don't know how to set a null password. I've seen it done
by miss-guided users in RedHat and Mandrake (one bloke and a null root
password. I no longer do tech support for him).
	As for locking down the system, I'd like to make the guest's home
directory read-only, however gnome and galeon (yeah yeah, overkill for a
kiosk) want to write to some files on startup. How can I find out what
these are and then make the rest RO? Any suggestions for a better WM?
Perhaps just sawfish without gnome?

Cheers,
Adrian