[plug] Passwords

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sat Mar 9 22:44:52 WST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 09:59:27PM +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> G'Day,
> 	(/me fits flame resistant suit) How do I set a null password, specifically
> in debian. I'm setting up a web kiosk for a real estate agent and it needs

Edit /etc/shadow?

> 	As for locking down the system, I'd like to make the guest's home
> directory read-only, however gnome and galeon (yeah yeah, overkill for a
> kiosk) want to write to some files on startup. How can I find out what
> these are and then make the rest RO? Any suggestions for a better WM?

Log in as guest on a console.  Let it sit idle for a few minutes.  Log
in via gdm.  Wait till it's finished disk activity.  Switch to the
console and type

  $ find . -mmin -1 -ls

Pick the number of minutes (1 in this case) so that only the files
modified during the gdm/gnome login will be listed.  You shouldn't need
more than one or two minutes.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov