[plug] ext3

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 11 09:58:41 WST 2002

Yes, there will be some that insist UDMA drives aren't that bad, but SCSI
in RAID is TCO cheap and doesn't require all those add-in cards (2 extra
PCI cards for a min. spec. 5 drive array + CDROM). The other argument is
that IDE drives aren't that bad quality, and as I said generally YGWYPF
(You get what you pay for). This means steering away from Fujitsu, Maxtor,
and particular drives you hear about in the industry news (Like IBM75GXP
models).

End result is IDE RAID is great for striping on the cheap and mirroring.
You can *make* it do RAID, but the cons are ,more than often than not,
worst than the pros.

This is an opinion, and FWIW the opinion of a great deal of knowledgeable
others.
I wish IDE for RAID was as good or better, and I sincerely hope that the
IDE RAID controllers out there become more intelligent, at least somewhat
near the level of their SCSI counterparts.

Regards,

Craig Foster