[plug] ext3

John Breen locutus at borg.apana.org.au
Mon Mar 11 10:54:42 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 09:58, Craig Foster wrote:
> Yes, there will be some that insist UDMA drives aren't that bad, but SCSI
> in RAID is TCO cheap and doesn't require all those add-in cards (2 extra
> PCI cards for a min. spec. 5 drive array + CDROM). The other argument is
> that IDE drives aren't that bad quality, and as I said generally YGWYPF
> (You get what you pay for). This means steering away from Fujitsu, Maxtor,
> and particular drives you hear about in the industry news (Like IBM75GXP
> models).

Ok, here's my 2c worth :)

I have a mainboard that does IDE raid.  Sure it cost a bit more (about
$285), but it does onboard RAID.  Many do now.  I don't see that it's
that much more expensive, for the use I get out of it.

The point about some drives is well made, BUT I can remember a time not
long ago when Western Digital were utter crap, and seagate were way
cool.  now the situation's reversed.  I have a WD drive manufactured
when WD was allegedly crap, and it's never failed on me in 7 years.  My
seagate drives (again, bought when they were 'crap') have never failed
on me either.  The only drive I've ever had fail was a conner, and that
was because it got dropped.

The point is, you can't avoid drives because they're made by a certain
manufacturer.  Make backups.  If the drive fails, replace it.  But DON'T
not buy a drive because is made by Seagate or WD or whatever.  It's like
cars.  There can be a wide variation in performance between two cars of
the exact same model that were produced at the same time in the same
factory.

Anyway, like i said, my 2c worth...