[plug] ext3

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 10:31:24 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 07:25, Craig Foster wrote:
> Why, oh, why mention IDE with RAID?
>
> SCSI has scatter-gather and command queuing, the quality is generally
> higher, and the drives faster.
> Software RAID doesn't add anything unless you are running a system that
> must have speed at all cost - like music, where the drive gets wiped after
> each session or track (actually the striping described isn't RAID, since R
> means Redundant..)
> And can anyone here vouch for an enterprise quality IDE RAID controller?
> Except for testing or those with LOTS of little drives, *no-one should use
> IDE with RAID*.
>
> 1. Use better quality hard drives (YGWYPF)
> 2. Backup, backup, backup.
>
> Urrgh!
>
> exit(0);

Okay, so you're arguing that when using cheap, crappy drives that are
_more_ likely to fail, you should avoid using a technology that removes
the pain of this happening and is also damn cheap, because IDE drives
cost (practically) nothing?

Seriously, it's like $200 for 40Gb or something.

We use SCSI in all of our servers because IDE just sucks and when you're
doing LOTS of I/O (eg. busy mail server, news server, etc) you need
SCSI. But IDE RAID is a nice solution for home.

It doesn't stop you losing all your data if you type the wrong thing ot
the OS goes mad, but it's mighty convenient.

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G