[plug] KDE en_GB: 'distro'

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Tue Mar 12 07:43:05 WST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:36:12AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> The last one "distro's", is the most appropriate. Reason? "distro" is an
> abbreviation.
>
> It is not "CDS" or "CDs", it is correctly, "CD's", for the same
> reason. Also, "TV's", etc.

Not in generally recommended usage. See, for example, the Fowlers
entry at:
http://www.xrefer.com/entry.jsp?xrefid=591370

If you'd like to read a more impassioned viewpoint on this, try:
http://xml.coverpages.org/properSpellingForPluralOfDTD.html

The apostrophe used to be used when abbreviations were normally
written with full stops: C.D.'s. But since we stopped using full stops
much, the apostrophe is generally dropped: CDs. One exception is when
you're referring to letters of the alphabet: p's and q's.

Colin