[plug] XML Talk follow-ups

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Mar 13 14:52:35 WST 2002

After the seminar last night, I thank Colin Muller for an enlightening
presentation.

Before the seminar, all I knew of XML, was that it stood for eXtensible
Markup Language, and that it was something to do with display of web
pages, like HTML. I now know that XML is a different type of thing, to
HTML.

The seminar explained the developments up to XML, what XML is, what it is
used for, some instances of where it is used, how it is used, gave example
XML syntax, and an example application.

Thanks, Colin. Well worth attending.

I have a suggestion, to people who attend the seminars and meetings. There
is communication on the mailing list, and, people remember some of the
names on the mailing list. Then, we go to a seminar or other meeting, and,
have no idea, as to who all the people are. Perhaps, at the end (or
start) of the meetings and seminars, there could be a ritual introduction
of everyone present, so that each person stands up, and says something
like "Hello, I am <name>. I <work/don't work/study> in the Linux area, and
my interests are mainly <interests>." Something quick and brief, so that
people know who is there, and, what they do, and, their interests, so that
people can network after the meetings/seminars, if they want, and, so that
people can put faces to names, and, names to faces. It should only take
about 5-10 minutes, and, could be very helpful.

--
Bret Busby

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988