[plug] Small networking problem

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Sun Mar 17 20:59:45 WST 2002

Craig Dyke wrote:

>Short while back I had a friend help me set up a small network at home.
>We made so when my Linux box dials in that my Win-98 box has internet access.
>I remember this involved ip-up invoking my ip-up.local file.
>
>I have 2 questions:
>	1. What calls ip-up to get the ball rolling?

On Debian it will probably be "pon" (pppon on rpm distros?) In /etc/ppp
there should be a file "ppp_on_boot" (check this file out - if it's
called "no_ppp_on_boot" this feature won't be working so change it). As
I understand it, this works as some sort of 'flag' file for pon. If it
is set correctly it will alert the ppp daemon upon boot to look out for
any internet url calls sent out by any internet kinda application
(mozilla, ftp, ssh, whatever). This is also true for any application
launched from a machine that is a client on the network.
If there seems to be a problem with the dialup it could be related to
the daemon, so type this as root:
/etc/init.d/ppp restart

If you get a message saying that no pppd is up, then for some reason or
other pon isn't working - it would seem. Try launching it from the
command line:
pon <provider name>

Hope this helps,

Sol