[plug] Small networking problem

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Mon Mar 18 09:39:46 WST 2002

Hya,

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Craig Dyke wrote:

> Short while back I had a friend help me set up a small network at home.
> We made so when my Linux box dials in that my Win-98 box has internet access.
> I remember this involved ip-up invoking my ip-up.local file.
'ip-up' is called from '/sbin/ifup', usually executed by root, or you
can specify a user(s) to invoke the dial.
'ip-up.local' is called from within 'ip-up' after the modem has
successfully connected, you can then thru '$1 $2 $3 ...$6' get your ip
address and stuff.

> I have 2 questions:
> 	1. What calls ip-up to get the ball rolling?
see above...
> 	2. A side problem is that ipchains module doesn't seem to get called either?
It looks like you want to add a chain to your firewall after you have
connected to the web? yes? If so you can use /sbin/ipchains -A ... in
your 'ip-up.local file, see man ipchains or ipchains --help for syntax.
You may have to be root to append the chain, that is if a user invokes
the dial the chain may not be added to you firewall.

--
Paul Dean.
Canning College IT Support.