OpenOffice.org was: [plug] Angels in the centerfold

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Mar 18 13:47:13 WST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Jacqueline McNally wrote:

> > > OpenOffice.org Marketing Communications & Information Director
> > > Australia/New Zealand
> > > (www.openoffice.org)
> >
> >Ooooh! (-:
>
> I'm a little non-plussed by the title that I have been assigned by the
> OpenOffice.org marketing project team. I took a deep breath last week and
> started to use it as described. It essentially means that I am the point
> person or contact for enquiries relation to OpenOffice.org :)
>
> OpenOffice.org is an exciting open source project in which to be involved.
> Not being a programmer or interested in computer hardware (I get to play
> with electronics bits in my work), I decided to become a contributor to the
> OpenOffice.org project. I started with documentation, got drawn into
> marketing, and now Q&A.
>
> Currently, OpenOffice.org is being shown at CEBIT, Hannover. We are sharing
> Sun Microsystems' booth where they are demonstrating StarOffice 6.0. There
> has been considerable interest in OpenOffice.org, even tho' we don't have
> CDs to give away and we currently only have the English version loaded
> (there is a German version). The StarOffice 6.0 CDs that Sun are giving
> away are a time-out demo, pending the release of StarOffice 6.0. The goss
> from the Sun booth, is that StarOffice will probably retail for less than
> 100 Euros.
>
> OK, putting my OpenOffice.org Marketing Communications & Information
> Director's hat on here, are there any PLUGgers that would be interested in
> completing an online survey or questionnaire related to OpenOffice.org ?
> Please contact me offlist if you would like to participate.
>
> I am excited to be part of the OpenOffice.org global marketing team. There
> is an engineering team too, and I think this project demonstrates how both
> engineering and marketing co-exists to make the product a success - even in
> open source projects.
>
> All the best
> Jacqueline
> http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/
>
> OpenOffice.org Marketing Communications & Information Director
> Australia/New Zealand
> (www.openoffice.org)
>
> Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)

Hello, Jacqueline.

I don't know what this Open Office is.

On going to the website at www.openoffice.org, I saw that the home page
has the Star Office 5.2 logo at the bottom, and indication that the site
is a Sun Computers thing.

Is this the Star Office 6, that was reported to be the web application,
where all the client data (documents created and edited and belonging to
the user of the software) would be stored on the WWW, along with the
application,and that all that the client got, was a kind of a link, that
went to the website that contained the application, so that a person could
not use the application, without being connected to the Internet?

Due to your glorious position and title ( :) ), could you please explain
what Open Office is, and, how it compares to Star Office 5.2, for those of
us, who do not know?