[plug] Modem Issues

Jonathon Bates batesy at batesy.net
Tue Mar 26 23:54:18 WST 2002

Heya guys,
I was at a clients residence today setting up a gateway
with a dialup account. Now I could get the box to dial,
get out going data going through fine (for a period of time).
After which the connection just went completely dead. I would
try and ping a site, and not even the SD light would flash (which
I found strange). When I was running a ping command, it would
originally send out roughly 20 packets and then die. We changed the
modem cord, and then managed to get to 50 packets before dying.
I could ping the IP address of hte modem without a problem, so I am
not sure if it could be the serial connection, the serial port, the
machine itself with a screwy memory block or something. Or the modem
itself having problems with a few of the commands (eg hangup...). I
truly don't think it is the phone line as during the dialup it connected
really quickly, with no retrains.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Batesy
PS I have got PCI serial card for the box and I will be trying a new modem
on it on thursday.