[plug] tcp/ip stalls

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 12:43:11 WST 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 22:10, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Heyas,
>
> I have a really bugging problem that my tcp connections stall after a while
> this seems to be apparent on apt-get updates/upgrades
>
> i even (using vmware and a NAT virtual network adapter) get the same
> problem when i can download completely fine for hours in windows
> yet 2 minutes on linux and it stalls
> untill it times out or i ctrl+c and continue

Sounds like your MTU is set wrong to me. Try 'ifconfig eth0 mtu 512' and
see how it goes. If your MTU is too high you'll be ok for small stuff
like telnet (unless the motd is too long ;) but when you get given a
large packet full of FTP data it doesn't make it down the link to you.

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G