[plug] Hardware problem?

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Fri Mar 29 16:39:38 WST 2002

I've got a machine running Linux 6.1, kernel version 2.2.12-45SAP which is
giving me some problems.  It's a Duron 850, with an integrated mobo with an
SiS 900 e/net adaptor.

First, it works fine for most things.  However, when I try to transfer large
amounts of data, the network stops working.  no error messages, nothing in
any log that I can find, it just doesn't respond.  This happens only when I
try to move large data files around.  I've tried ftp, scp, and smb, all with
the same (negative) result.  The interesting thing is that ifconfig shows
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet addr:192.168.1.220  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

Note the hardware address, or lack of it.  MTU is fine tho'.

I need to upgrade this machine to RH 7.1  When I try, the kernel panics.  I
had assumed that it was because there isn't a driver for the SiS 900 on the
standard boot image, but it doesn't work with the drivers disk either.  I'm
now wondering if these problems aren't all related.  Will setting the
hardware address of eth0 fix things (I'm going to try this this evening)?  Or
is the missing address indicative of an underlying h/ware fault, that is
causing the kernel panic?  Will Thorn ever find out that the baby was
actually fathered by his stepbrother, and not the mad axe....  Sorry, warped
into an alternate universe there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alan