[plug] Hardware problem?

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Fri Mar 29 22:15:47 WST 2002

At 04:39 PM 29/03/02 +0800, you wrote:
>I've got a machine running Linux 6.1, kernel version 2.2.12-45SAP which is
>giving me some problems.  It's a Duron 850, with an integrated mobo with an
>SiS 900 e/net adaptor.

My laptop has an SiS 900 in it + Debian + 2.4.16.  It works most of the
time but on occasions only in Linux, it stops responding totally, have to
power down once to fix it.  Large file transfers don't seem to worry it too
much in Linux, but Windows totally hangs when it sees any sniff of network
traffic over about 20%, then starts responding again when it is finished.

I am far from impressed with its Windows performance, but it seems to work
okay in Linux. The good thing is SiS seem quite keen to support Linux, so
there is plenty of info out there about the chipset.  May I suggest trying
a newer kernel, or patching your current source with more recent SiS 900
code: http://www.sis.com/support/driver/linux.htm or put a better network
card in it and disable the SiS 900.

... and I hope Thorn finds out who fathered the baby.

Ryan