[plug] Internet gateway

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed May 1 13:25:33 WST 2002

Hi all

I am running Red Hat 7.2

With help from Kai Jones I managed to get my dial-up internet access and
e-mail set up and working.

However, I have just installed a D-Link Internet sharing device (gateway and
DCHP server).  For those of you who have not seen this device it is a small
box which attaches to your modem by a serial cable, and to your computer(s)
via Cat5 network cables and hub.  The device has an initial factory set IP
address of 192.168.100.1 and if you type this address into your PC's browser
you will get the DP-602's home page which allows you to move around its
various screens and configure the device by entering your ISP's telephone
number, you account name and password, DNS, etc ......

If I boot into windows I can see and use the DP-602 gateway.

If I boot into Linux (I use KDE) and enter 192.168.100.1 into any of the
browser's (konqueror, Netscape, mozzilla) I get an error message saying the
host cannot be found .... BUT ... when I click "OK" to clear that error
message the DP-602's home page screen IS displayed and I can edit the
settings if I wish.... but I cannot browse the Internet or access e-mail.

I can't seem to set up a new Internet account in KDE because the
configuration wizard only seems to provide for dial-up modems.

I think it is a routing problem ... i.e. I need to set up a new connection
account which points to eth0 rather than the external modem (which is no
longer directly attached to the computer).

If anyone could help I would be much obliged.

Kind regards

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers
ABN 34 305 232 710