[plug] Linux ver Windows in Program development

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu May 2 15:08:27 WST 2002

On Thu, 02 May 2002 14:29:40 +0800
David White <tadewhite at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all. I have a odd situation here. My dad develops Software in FORTRAN
> that has to run on W2k for Alcoa. He has a W2k box and a emergency backup
> WinNT4 Box. He would like to use Linux as his primary OS but is constanly
> compiling and testong his programs. Is there some way that he can do all
> this under linux and when a version compilation is needed then can boot
> into W2k and compile the windows version without changing anything. He
> needs a windows api for his program and if anybody has infomation on 1) a
> linux version of the Windows api that is exactly the same. 2) A fortran
> compiler that is later than g77

Hmmm. Useful Leon (Jeez you're norty :)

Hi Tim

I thought there were some commercial toolkits to port Windows apps over to Unix
that provided the Doze API so code came across with little modification. I
suspect they are meant for linking to C/C++ code and I'm not sure if attaching
Fortran to them is possible. I read a review of a product like this in Dr Dobbs
a year or two ago. I'll see if I can find the article.

Also Nag (Numerical Algorythms Group) may have a Linux version of their Fortran
compiler. I don't know what Fortran your dad is using under Doze but a moderate
cross-grade price may be possible if a Linux port exists. Alcoa might assist
there :-)

Just looked .. From http://www.nag.co.uk/nagware/NP/doc/faq.asp

"
1. Does NAGWare f95 run on Linux systems with glibc2.1? Releases 4.0a, 4.1 and
4.2 are fully compatible with glibc2.1. "

Moving to Linux doesn't assume that Free as in Freedom is an imperative if you
have a task to do.

Yup .. go on .. flame me :-) I'll tie my heretical body to this handy stake
first :-)

cu
Harry