[plug] Linux ver Windows in Program development

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Thu May 2 15:58:12 WST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:29:40PM +0800, David White wrote:
> Hi all. I have a odd situation here. My dad develops Software in FORTRAN
> that has to run on W2k for Alcoa. He has a W2k box and a emergency backup
> WinNT4 Box. He would like to use Linux as his primary OS but is constanly
> compiling and testong his programs. Is there some way that he can do all
> this under linux and when a version compilation is needed then can boot
> into W2k and compile the windows version without changing anything.

It can be even better than that - he can compile the source to a Windows
executable on his Linux machine and even RUN said executable on his Linux
machine.

Given a few small caveats, that is... *grin*

> He needs a windows api for his program and if anybody has infomation on
[ ... ]
> 1) a linux version of the Windows api that is exactly the same.

MinGW and Wine.

See http://www.mingw.org/  and  http://www.winehq.com/

But also see below.

> 2) A fortran compiler that is later than g77

Okay, first and most important question:

When you say "later than g77", do you mean that you still want a Fortran 77
compiler (as opposed to a Fortran 90 or 95 compiler, which is quite
different), just a "later" version?

If so, when you say "later than g77", which version of g77 are you
referring to? :-)

> Tim

Basically, if it's a Fortran 77 compiler that your dad needs, all should be
cool and groovy and I'll explain in more detail. I believe g77 can even
handle some Fortran 90 code (according to the GNU Fortran manual anyway).

If not, then things will be not quite so cool and groovy - I think your
only serious option would be to purchase a commercial Fortran compiler for
Linux, and I doubt he'd be able to do the cooler things (like
cross-compiling to a Windows executable) with that.

To get an idea of the state of GNU Fortran 95, see http://g95.sourceforge.net/
Quick summary - not very advanced. :)

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured programming is