[plug] Debian: no telnet access after stable -> testing upgrade

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 3 16:23:18 WST 2002

Thanks to Michael and Andrew...

Michael's point about open-ssh is a good one and I will in fact travel that
pathway shortly.  I was attempting to get it to work in a plain-ish vanilla
environment first.

Andrew... I have done the apt-get and inetd reload as you suggested,
thanks, but the telnet session aborts before any signon messages appear in
the telnet client screen.  I have seen that sort of behaviour before, when
the forward and reverse dns info is incorrect so I will follow up on that
aspect.  During the apt-get installation it removed the heimdal-servers,
presumably because of a conflict with login.  Oh, "login" was the claimed
latest version.

It may not be dns-related however, since attempting to telnet to itself
from within an xterm window is also unsuccessful.  Telnetting to the dns
name, the actual IP address or localhost in this manner simply returns
"Escape character is blahblah" followed shortly thereafter by "Connection
closed by foreign host".

Thankfully this is not a mission critical machine or situation so I can
treat it as a good learning exercise :-)  A pointer to a good "read" would
be appreciated.  I'll try the telnet-HOWTO if there is such a thing.

Cheers and thanks again.  Further suggestions gratefully accepted.
Denis