[plug] Debian: no telnet access after stable -> testing upgrade

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Fri May 3 16:36:59 WST 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 16:07, Brian Tombleson wrote:
<snip>

> On this note, what actually happens in apt when the migration takes place?
> If I have a potato system running doing regular, automatic apt-get
> udate;apt-get upgrade on "stable" .. when Woody migrates to Stable, will
> that update/upgrade be a particularly big one and upgrade the whole lot?  If
> not, will woody packages be upgraded but not the kernel/distro?  If not,
> will it continue to try to get potato packages that will obviously no longer
> be being supported?
>
> Cheers,
> Brian.

I think the following should answer your questions
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.html#s-dists
Particularly 5.2 and 5.3

The symlink for stable will be changed to point to woody when woody is
released (ie becomes stable rather than testing)

Sid will always be the unstable dist because Sid was the name of the kid
next door that broke toys. (Debian dist names are based on characters in
toy story)

--
bob
Cave canem...te necet lingendo tinitas tu.