[plug] Questions for information

Cameron Patrick cp at chem.com.au
Sat May 4 22:18:48 WST 2002

G'day,

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 10:15:58PM +0800, James Elliott wrote:

> Here are a couple of questions I have been agonising over all day - I would
> be obliged if any of you can help by explaining them to me.

No problem.

> 1.  How can you have permission to modify a file that you cannot delete.

To create a file, delete a file or rename a file you need write permission
for the directory that it is in.  To modify file you need write
permission for the file itself.

> 2.  This command copies the contents of a file called "answers" into another
> file called "answers#2", but why? - how does it work?
>       $  > answers#2 < answers cat

It's the same as "cat <answers >answers2" but in a different order: the
cat program copies its standard input to its output, with the input
redirected from answers and the output redirected to answers#2.

Cheers,

Cameron.