[plug] Red Hat 7.1 vs 7.2

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Sun May 5 21:56:37 WST 2002

I installed Red Hat version 7.1 from some CD's that came on the cover of APC
Magazine and despite my inexperience, everything seemed to work -
specifically the two CD's did (one is a writer) and so did the printer when
I set it up.  The only thing that didn't seem to work was this - I have tow
NIC's and only one showed up during installation (as eth0).

Then a fellow external uni student friend sent me Red Hat 7.2, and I
installed that.  The first thing I oticed was that BOTH my network cards
showed up (eth0 and eth1) ... however, I eventually found out that neither
my Cd-ROM nor CD-RW would mount and my printer spewed out pages and pages of
code every time it ws asked to print, or even if it was just switched on
when I booted my computer into Linux (RH7.2).  There were a few other
challenges, like the cursor diappearing in terminal windows or WP
applications, but the CD's and printer were the main ones I could not live
with.

I have just re-installed Red Hat 7.1 and now:
* my printer works!
* my CD-ROM works beautifully!
* my CD-RW works (as a CD-Reader - I don't know how to write yet)
* all applications and control panel utilities work
but I have lost one of my NIC's again - small price to pay to get the
printer back online though.

Has anyone else had challenges with RH 7.2?

Kind regards,

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers
ABN 34 305 232 710