[plug] DNS - reply to BillK

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon May 6 10:15:34 WST 2002

a cacheing dns may be installed if you selected bind during the
install.  If that is the case, bind will cache any dns queries and speed
up lookup time (responce time) - sometimes very noticeably.  A "real
dns" presumes you are running a dns service for some other machines.
Depending on what is what, it can effect how dns works on your machine.
For instance, on my laptop with cacheing dns, I have configured the bind
config files to point to a number of dns servers, and my
/etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1, rather than the isp dns server.
That way, most apps will get their lookups via the cache.

Possible, there is something amiss with how your D-Link service has been
set up so it is not automaticly getting and adding the server.  If
/etc/resolv works, then you have a working system and can track the prob
down (prob how the D-Link service was set up) or just leave it as is
(what I would do - dynamicly updating dns on login always ends up being
a mess for me - most likely as I like to fiddle ...)

BillK