[plug] suggestion: PLUG 4 Schools

Stephen.Blechynden at eddept.wa.edu.au Stephen.Blechynden at eddept.wa.edu.au
Mon May 6 15:37:10 WST 2002

Hi all
Your discussion of using linux in schools is really interesting and
worthwhile but these are some things about the culture in schools and the
Department that you will need to take into account;

schools are being encouraged to conform to a standard operating environment
to enable consistency of support and to enable implementation of system wide
finance/curriculum programs

Schools have the need for curriculum software which in many cases only exist
in the dos/mac world

school networks are run on small budgets and usually small maintanence ie
the coordinators are overworked.

plus a range of other issues to long to discuss here.

If you are looking at implementing a strategy it will need to be very
focussed and be able to take the needs of schools and the Department's
goals.

Good luck

Stephen

Joondalup DEP