[plug] suggestion: PLUG 4 Schools

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 6 16:24:44 WST 2002

Thanks for your input, Stephen.

It would be valuable to have some idea of the nature of these programmes
(finance, curriculum) so that we could explore realistic alternatives.  On
the finance side for example, perhaps the current solution is a spreadsheet
running under Excel although if that were the case, I'm sure you'd have
mentioned it :-)

I think that a background of small budgets and maintenance issues would
benefit from an injection of Linux rather than be hindered by it.  Indeed,
being able to remotely log in (ssh, etc) would open the doorway for trusted
admins at other school sites to assist in admin tasks when the local admin
is flooded with their normal work.  And trust me, it isn't only the
"schools" (primary, secondary) that feel the budgetry pinch on the IT
side!!  NT and Novell probably also allow for shared remote admin but I
cannot comment from experience.

This I suppose adds weight to the concept, as someone else wrote this
afternoon, that the configurations would need to be standardised.  But I
doubt that they'd all need to be Debian sites, or all Red Hat or all
SuSE...  Sure, the details change (Debian's apt-get system for .debs, RH's
rpm system, slightly different directory structure, etc) but from the
interactions on this list we have people helping others regardless of their
Linux flavour.

I agree there are lots of issues through which to work, as people on this
list have highlighted (highlit?) and from what I've read so far at sites
such as the K12LTSP and Leon's reference this morning.  Question: is it
reasonable / ethical to start a "to do"-type page on the PLUG website where
mission-critical applications / conditions are listed and against which
people can report OSS alternatives?  For instance "application = word
processing, critical condition = compatibility with Word version X" to
which people might respond "StarOffice, OpenOffice, ...."  That's an
example only, I had in mind more esoteric applications like timetabling,
groupware, student records, library management, etc.

Cheers,
Denis